Monday, January 26, 2009

Fat book technique

OK so I hardly ever do swaps these days but I got all hyped when I heard about this Fat Book Swap....then the clincher we had to do 120 pages! I must admit most of the time it was tons of fun. So the swap had to be a technique using homemade, cheep or recycled art supplies.

So here is the technique: I took paint I bought eons ago from the hardware store ......yes house paint:>) Let that dry then used a 2nd color, put it on with an old credit card then take a comb or anything and run it through scraping off the top layer of paint where the comb hits, let that dry completely.
Cut out a recognisable picture from an old magazine, turn it over....is it recognizable? If so use it. Hold it down or tape it with re-positional tape or glue. Take a stencil brush and dip it in gesso then take much of it off on a paper towel, brush in a feather motion away from the center, go around the entire image. Take off stencil and let dry.

6 comments:

Val Foster said...

I love this technic and the way it turned out. Did you think it up yourself? If so, how clever and creative. Good job.

Did you actually make 120 of these? I was tempted to join that swap, but got overwhelmed by the number of pages I'd have to do. But I'm sure your finished book will be fabulous, and something you can always refer to.

Val Foster said...

I love this technic and how it turned out. How very clever and creative. Great job, especially in making 120 pages. But the finished book will be fabulous, and great for reference.

peggy gatto said...

What alot of work and it looks like it was worth it! I can't wait to get mine!!!

Michi, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Darlene!
I LOVE your technique for the Fat Book Swap!!!! I'm SO anxious to get mine in the mail!!! TOO COOL!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a great technique and you know I love the idea of using recycled materials. I'm going to have to try this one and of course I'll give you credit for "inventing" it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I linked to this post. I know I put the html code for this post on my blog. Hope you like how I followed your really great tutorial.